Do you need to lose some weight? Yes? You and everybody else. The truth is that Canadians and Americans will try virtually anything to drop some pounds. The trouble is separating the true from the far-fetched. One strategy that has been around for a while and has a fair number of believers is the use of steam rooms. And while there is some truth to this, there is a little, well, baloney. Consider this your guide to separating the two.
Scientific evidence that covers the subject of steam rooms and their effect on weight loss is hard to come by. Making matters worse, although there is some credence to claims that steam rooms aid in weight loss, the evidence supporting this is not as promising as it might sound. Plainly stated, steam rooms provide minimal benefits to those who want to use them to lose weight, but those minimal benefits have permanent consequences.
How Does a Steam Bath Reduce Weight?
Steam baths normally operate at a temperature of between 110 to 114 degrees Fahrenheit. The higher temperature causes our bodies to sweat–“glitter” for the ladies–which means that you have shed water that is normally retained by your body. This sweat is normally released as part of your body’s natural cooling system. Losing this water will obviously cause you to lose weight in proportion to the amount of water you lose. It is important to note, however, that you have lost water weight, not fat, which is what you lose when you perform a workout. As soon as you leave the steam bath and drink a glass of water, that same weight is regained by your body.
When Is Losing Water Weight a Good Idea?
Bodybuilders and other high-performance athletes know that losing water weight can be a good thing, especially when they are trying to “cut up” for an important competition. It is important to realize, however, that while losing water, you are also losing electrolytes and other important substances, which can be very dangerous. Don’t let this keep you from your steam bath, however. Instead, use a steam bath and the physical and mental benefits as a reward for a good workout, which will no doubt benefit you in losing weight.
Used properly, steam rooms can provide a number of excellent health benefits. Just as is the case with so many fitness fads, however, you must exercise caution when using them. The bottom line is to use your head and listen carefully to what your body is telling you. That way you can’t go wrong, and you will enjoy the health benefits of your steam bath for many years to come.
Looking for your own steam room? Learn more about residential steam generators at Perfectbath.com.
Contributed by: Perfectbath
- How to Upgrade Your Shower Experience
- Q & A: How Do I Use My Steam Bath For The First Time
- 4 Types of Showerheads
- Buying A Steam Shower? Don’t Make These 3 Common Mistakes!
- 4 Shower Design Ideas
- Things to Consider When Choosing a Steam Shower
- Top 10 Steam Bath Benefits You May Not Have Considered
- 5 Tips on Maintaining Your Steam Shower
- In-Home Steam Baths
- Top 3 Reasons to Use a Steam Shower
- 3 Tips for Installing a Steam Shower
- 4 Benefits of Steam Showers
- 3 Ways to Get a Steam Shower at Home
- How Much Does a Steam Shower Cost?
- Is it Worth Investing in a Steam Shower or Whirlpool Bath ?
- 4 Benefits of Steam Showers
- Is it healthy to take a Steam Bath Daily?
- Is an In-Home Steam Shower Expensive?
- How Do Steam Showers Affect the Body?
- The Best Temperature for Steam Showers
- Do Steam Showers and Saunas Burn Calories?
- Does a Steam Shower Help Bronchitis?
- Best Oils for Herbal Steam Showers
- How Does a Steam Bath Reduce Weight?
- Basic Safety of Using a Steam Shower
- Steam Showers – The reason why they are So Popular Nowadays
- The Amazing Features of Steam Shower Units
- Essential Considerations When Installing A Steam Shower
- Steam Showers -Histories Great Invention
- The Countless Wonderful Health Advantages of Steam Showers
- The Right Way to Install Steam Shower Units
- Buying Guide : Finding The Steam Shower That Is Right For You
- Questions and Answers about Steam Showers
- Benefits of Using Aromatherapy Essential Oils in Steam Showers
- Health Benefits of Using a Steam Shower
- 6 Health Benefits of Using a Steam Room or Steam Shower
- Top 10 Reasons to install a Steam Shower
- Custom Steam Shower or Modular FreeStanding Steam Shower Which is Better ?
- Popularity of Steam Showers Taking to the Sky
- Steam Showers to treat Colds and Flu
- Steam Shower Indulgence Pays Relaxation Dividends
- Do Steam Showers Improve your Skin ?
- Steam Saunas Vs Far Infrared Saunas – What’s the Difference?